Desiderata Vision and Philosophy
At Desiderata the first priority of education is to inspire a desire to learn based on the discovery of innate worth and individual potential. We strive to create emotionally safe learning environments which encourage and support self-discovery, curiosity, and positive personal growth. We aim to create a climate that allows students to expand awareness of unique opportunities and corresponding responsibilities within relationships, home, community and the world.
- A quality education is one that not only academically prepares a student for continuing academic/career success, but also is one that is applicable to the whole person, incorporating the values and goals of each student, providing them with direction and giving them true meaning and purpose for their life.
- Proficiency-based education is a viable and valuable model for providing a quality edcation.
- Education is the process by which students discover the value of learning in providing quality in their lives.
- Every student should be helped to realize his/her value through an education that is applicable to personal learning styles, personal interests and personal goals, engaging a student's head, hands and heart.
- Self-paced education allows for personal growth that is unique to each student, allowing students to discover their own individual learning styles, and cultivates a deeper desire to learn, that ultimately leads to success.
- Taking personal responsibility for their own education encourages students to develop skills that serve them well throughout their lives.